Haemorrhagic stroke

Haemorrhagic stroke is when you have bleeding in or around the brain. The blood supply to part of your brain is cut off, killing brain cells. Damage to brain cells can affect how the body works. It can also change how you think and feel.

It’s a less common type of stroke, and around 15% of strokes in the UK are haemorrhagic. The other 85% of strokes are ischaemic (due to a blockage in the blood supply to the brain).